02 Jul Saint John’s Church : Where Charnock Lies
Kolkata’s Most Historical Church
Start By Viewing The Black Hole of Calcutta Memorial
Move On To Job Charnock’s Tomb
Charnock married an Indian lady whom he dramatically saved from performing sati, re-named her Maria and lived with her for 19 years. They had four children.
The Remarkable Begum Johnson Is Buried Close To Charnock…
Begum Johnson Outlived Four Husbands: “Universally Respected Beloved and Revered”
Inside the Church…
The Reflective Solitude of St John’s Church
Stories The Wall Plaques Tell Us
The Vestry Room, Which Was Earlier Hastings’ Office…
- Open all days, 10am to 4pm.
- Toilet facilities available
- Wheelchair access available
- Ample parking available within the grounds
- “Calcutta”. By Geoffrey Moorehouse Published by Faber&Faber
- “European Calcutta – Images and Recollections of a Bygone Era”. By Dr Dhrubajyoti Banerjea. Published by UBS Publishers.
- “The Anarchy – The East India Company, Corporate Violence, and The Pillage of an Empire”. By William Dalrymple. Published by Bloomsbury.
- “Hicky’s Bengal Gazzette”. By Tarun Kumar Mukhopadhyay.