17 Jan Muradabad Pahadi
Two heritage mosques and a timeless Mazhar, which are little known and difficult to visit
A Tughlaq Era and a Lodi Era Mosque Side By Side at Muradabad Pahadi: This Is Unique In Delhi
Why these mosques were built alongside at the top of this hill is a mystery, as well as why they are referred to as Qasai Wala Gumbad, which is what they are called today.
An Ancient Aadhar Card: Identifies The name Syed Ali Murad Shah Baba Rehmatallah. Died 1331 AD (732 Hijri)
Sufis and Their Relationship With Power
How to get here:
- Muradabad Pahadi is opposite Vasant Vihar Club in Block E of Vasant Vihar colony and off Paschimi Marg.
- These mosques are also sometimes called Shahi Masjid.
- Unfortunately, access is restricted apart from Thursdays when one can visit the mazhar of Baba Murad Shah.
Information (for Muradabad Pahadi) :
- Closest metro – Vasant Vihar
- Fatima Hussain, “Chishtis during the Delhi Sultanate: a balance between ideals and practice” (Thesis submitted to JNU, Delhi for Doctor of Philosophy, 2002)
- Dehlvi, Sadia. Sufism. The Heart of Islam (Published by Harper Collins India, Delhi, 2009)
- Subhan, John A. Sufism Its Saints and Shrines (Published by Indigo Books, Delhi, 2002)